9 Things You Should Be Doing After Varicose Veins Treatment
With more than 40 million Americans affected by varicose veins, you’ll likely experience symptoms at some point in your life. While you might think of varicose veins as a cosmetic issue, you may need treatment for worsening pain, bruising, swelling, and sores.
At Vanishing Veins Northwest, we consult with you to help you understand the causes of varicose veins, treatment options, what you should know about after-care treatment, and lifestyle changes.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins weaken your blood vessels, allowing your blood to flow backward or pool in your legs. Beyond the pain, discomfort, and ache, you may notice rope-like bulging, bluish discoloring, or even ulcers in your legs.
You’re more likely to develop varicose veins if others in your family have had them, but there’s also an occupational component. For example, if you’re a nurse, hairdresser, or cashier, your job makes you at a higher risk of experiencing varicose veins.
What Should You Do After Varicose Veins Treatment
At Vanishing Veins Northwest, we offer treatment options for your varicose veins, but we also help you understand the side effects and what you should do post-treatment. Here’s what you should do to support your health and wellness.
- Wear compression stockings for up to two weeks post-treatment depending on the type of treatment used to address your varicose veins.
- Avoid shaving and waxing your legs in the area affected by your varicose veins treatment.
- Walk for 30 minutes daily to prevent blood clots and improve the healthy blood flow in your legs.
- Avoid prolonged standing or sitting. If you’re required to stand or sit, take frequent breaks to lay down or walk around.
- Put your legs up. You should elevate your legs for at least 10 minutes daily to reduce pressure and improve blood flow.
- Avoid eating foods that reduce circulation (like alcohol) or increase water retention (salty foods).
- Watch out for fever, excessive bleeding, pain, or pus. You should call our office immediately to ensure your condition doesn’t become exacerbated.
- Follow our directions for care and cleaning. In most cases, avoid bathing for 3+ days, swimming in lakes, or soaking in hot tubs for at least a week.
- Don’t work out too much. Avoid aerobic exercises and intense workouts like lifting weights and jogging.
Besides using compression stockings and walking, you should also stay hydrated to support healthy blood flow.
Next Step: Consult with Vanishing Veins Northwest
At Vanishing Veins Northwest, we aim to help you understand what you should do to care for your legs post-treatment. We discuss the best solutions for your health and recovery from treatment at Vanishing Veins Northwest.
Call us at 425-277-8346 (VEIN) to Schedule Your Appointment Today!