Why Are Varicose Veins Itchy?
Varicose veins are associated with rope-like or bulging veins. Your skin may appear decolored or even purplish. We associate varicose veins with discomfort, and your legs may also itch or tingle.
At Vanishing Vein Northwest, we can help you better understand what varicose veins are and what the side effects might be. We’ll review recommendations and treatment options that might help your legs look and feel better.
What Are Varicose Veins?
With varicose veins, you may have damaged or weak veins, which allow your blood to flow against gravity and even pool in your veins. You may see a dark-purplish discoloration and swelling. You may feel progressive pain, discomfort, cramping, heaviness, and throbbing.
What Causes Itchiness?
Varicose veins and vein disease can cause stasis dermatitis. Stasis dermatitis develops in your lower legs. The symptoms of this skin inflammation include swelling, itchiness, aching, flaky skin, redness, scaling, and even hyperpigmentation. If the condition worsens, your skin may crack, or you may see open sores or ulcers.
How Do You Treat Itchy Varicose Veins?
At Vanishing Vein Northwest, we recommend treatments that ease those itchy symptoms.
- Antibiotics: We might recommend antibiotics if you have infected sores associated with itchiness and discomfort.
- Antihistamine: We recommend an antihistamine if you’re experiencing a histamine reaction, which causes itchy skin.
- Dressings: We might cover the wound with a wrap or compression stocking to support improved blood circulation while relieving the swelling and itchiness.
- Endovenous Thermal Ablation: We treat the itching and discomfort by shrinking your vein, which diverts your blood flow with no visible scarring and immediate relief.
- Foam Sclerotherapy: We treat your varicose veins by injecting foam into your leg vein, which causes your vein to form a scar. This procedure often results in immediate relief.
- Micro Ambulatory Phlebectomy: We treat your varicose veins by removing parts of the vein and applying a compression wrap. It’s a safe and quick treatment and recovery.
We work to mitigate and reduce the effects of any itchiness or discomfort from varicose veins. We target our treatment to your specific situation with recommendations that will quickly get you the relief you need.
Next Step: Consult with Vanishing Vein Northwest
At Vanishing Vein Northwest, our goal is to help you avoid the itchy side effects of varicose veins. At Vanishing Vein Northwest, we’ll discuss treatments and lifestyle recommendations like compression stockings, exercise, healthy diets, and hydration. We offer affordable options to help you treat and cope with the symptoms of varicose veins.
Call us at 425-277-8346 (VEIN) to Schedule Your Appointment Today!